Distinguished Teacher Award
The Distinguished Teacher Award is a prestigious honor that recognizes a teachers’ instructional excellence, extraordinary success working with students, and professional leadership. Eligibility requirements for the Distinguished Teacher award include a Master’s Degree, level II or permanent certification, and ten years in education, with at least three years in the Solanco School District. Teachers are nominated for the award by their colleagues or the principal of their school. Of the nominated teachers, no more than six, three elementary and three secondary teachers, may be selected at a time. Teachers who are nominated for the award must complete an application to be considered for selection as a Distinguished Teacher. The district’s supervision committee chooses a selection committee, consisting of teachers and administrators, to review the applications and guidelines in selecting teachers to be honored as Distinguished Teachers.
Following the photos is a complete list of Solanco’s Distinguished Teachers.
- Kelly Shumaker: Solanco High School Counselor. Joined Solanco in 1999
- Erin Byrnes: Solanco High School Family and Consumer Science. Joined the district in 2010.
- Lindsey Orr: Providence Elementary fifth grade teacher. Joined Solanco in 2010.
- Greg Schmitt: Fifth grade teacher at Bart-Colerain Elementary School. Joined the district in 1998.
- Lindsay Capoferri: School counselor, Solanco High School. Joined the district in 2000.
- Chris Rachor: Solanco High School math teacher. Joined the district in 2000.
- John Girvin: Solanco High School science teacher. Joined the district in 1983.
- Stephanie Wood, Swift Middle School English teacher. Joined the district in 2008
- Caley Roark, Solanco High School Teacher of the Gifted. Joined the district in 2005.
- Leslie McRobbie, Solanco High School English teacher. Began teaching at Solanco in 2007.
- Rebecca Gajecki, Instructional technology coach, joined the district in 2005
- Carrie Falduts, Health and physical education teacher at George A. Smith Middle School. Joined Solanco in 2000
- Matt Reiprich, second grade teacher at Providence Elementary at the time of his nomination and selection to Distinguished Teachers (now a third grade teacher at Providence). Began teaching at Solanco in 2006
- Sara Parrish, learning support teacher at Smith Middle School. Joined Solanco in 2004
- Cynthia Sangrey; social studies teacher at Smith Middle School. Began her career at Solanco in 1987
- Nancy Hudacs, Swift Middle School learning support teacher
- Megan Carson, Providence Elementary School first grade teacher
- Stephanie Jones, Solanco High School earth and space science teacher
- Tony Mendez, Solanco High school technology education teacher
- Brenda Lloyd, Solanco High School math teacher
- Jennifer Pearson, Swift Middle School guidance counselor
- Cynthia Wasilis, Smith and Swift middle schools librarian
- Melinda Daubert, reading specialist at Clermont Elementary School
- Susan Fitzgerald, reading specialist at Quarryville Elementary School
- Carey Kalupson: Lead agriculture teacher at Solanco High School
- Dawn Campbell, 5th grade teacher at Providence Elementary. 14-1/2-year career at Solanco
- Mary Pat Koller, 3rd grade teacher at Clermont Elementary School. 20-year career at Solanco
- Jennifer McDowell, math teacher at George A. Smith Middle School
- Jessica Prokay, English teacher at Solanco High School
- Jane Ausel, kindergarten at Bart-Colerain Elementary School
- Al Freas, 7th grade math extension teacher at George A. Smith Middle School
- Steve McTaggart, social studies teacher at Solanco High School
- Linda Whiting, special education teacher at Swift Middle School
- Richard Croyle, music teacher at Solanco High School
- Karen Gagliardi, music teacher at George A. Smith Middle School
- Yvonne McLaughin, kindergarten teacher at Clermont Elementary
- Donna Railing, 4th grade teacher at Bart-Colerain Elementary.
- Sheila Schmitt, 5th grade teacher at Bart-Colerain. 15-year career at Solanco
- Kristin Testerman, English teacher at Solanco High School. 10-year career at Solanco
- Judy Argue, second grade teacher, Bart-Colerain Elementary School
- Jane Eddy, Lead guidance counselor, Solanco High School
- Sandy Haines, reading specialist, Providence Elementary School
- Connie Herr, Lead math teacher, Solanco High School
- Barbara (Wagner) Miller, 4th grade teacher, Providence Elementary School
- Karen Baughman, multi-age (1st and 2nd grade) teacher at Clermont Elementary School
- Stacy Kline, lead business teacher at Solanco High School
- Becky McClure, 3rd grade teacher at Bart-Colerain Elementary School
- Bret Miller, lead science teacher at Solanco High School
- Tom Stauffer, Solanco School District Technology Integration Specialist
- Barbara Walker, reading specialist at Quarryville Elementary School
- Kathy Croyle, reading specialist at Clermont Elementary School
- Bill Lewis, English teacher at Solanco High School
- Jennifer Pasko, English teacher at Solanco High School
- Marj Hall-Petkosh, reading specialist and Title I coordinator
- Brenda Roark, first grade teacher at Bart-Colerain Elementary School